Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO is a team effort that should start from the very beginning of your site's design.
We will code your site with the appropriate meta tags for keywords, descriptions, and search engine robots/spiders. We do our best to optimize your site for the keywords and phrases that you provide in the content for your site. We will not use search engine spamming techniques like hidden text or code as that will just result in your site being banned from the search engines, etc. Since each search engine has different rules for listing and ranking which are constantly changing, we cannot guarantee any placement (top 10 etc.) for your site.
Although we cannot guarantee placement, some of the best ways to help get your site listed are as follows:
- You only get one chance to make a first impression. Keep the most important information at the top of your main page. These aren't just the first words your visitors will see, they are the first words the search engines will see too. In most cases this is the information that is pulled by the search engines for a description.
- Know your customers. Know what words or phrases they would use to search for you and use them in your content.
- Good, understandable copy. Using keywords and keyphrases are great but if they don't make sense to the reader, they aren't doing you any good. Only use technical jargon if it will be understood by your customer base. If you're trying to sell to laymen (or women) then keep it to a minimum.
- Words, lots and lots of words. What is your site's purpose? What are you trying to convey to your reader? Why should they explore your site further, come back often, or make that call?
- Not just graphics. Search engines cannot read text in images. Make sure that your site contains words that aren't just inside images. It's nice to have that font you love, but is the cost of being found in the search engines a price you are willing to pay? The same goes for Flash intros and, even worse, sites designed entirely in Flash.
- Everybody likes something for nothing. Include free content such as articles or tips about your service or product. Share your expertise.
Some of the best ways to keep your listing in the engines or increase its ranking are as follows:
- New content. A great site will get you listed but if it hasn't changed in years, that ranking will fall. Update your content, add new articles, etc. An easy way to keep your site current would be a calendar of events or seminars, a message board where you respond to customers' questions, a blog, etc. Something new every two to three weeks is a good time frame.
- Links. Increase the number of links to your site by asking those in your field, customers, suppliers, etc. to add a link to your site on theirs. This is commonly called reciprocal linking, cross-linking, or link partners.
SEO experts are available. Just ask!
If you don't feel your content is up to par, we'll be happy to put you in touch with our Copywriter.
Back to Top ~ Last updated: Thursday, Mar. 29, 2012