Some tips on how to keep your passwords hard to guess and secure.
- Never use personal information such as names, birth dates, or phone numbers.
- Don’t use the same password everywhere.
- Don’t make them so complex you can’t remember them and are forced to write them down.
- If you have to write them down, keep that information in a safe and secure place.
- Longer passwords are harder to guess.
- Make sure you’re really on the website you want to be before you enter that password. A secure password does no good if you hand it over to a phishing scam site.
- Don’t just use letters. Include upper and lower case letters, numbers, punctuation, and symbols.
- Change your passwords often.
- Don’t set your system to auto-remember your sign-in information. Having to actually log in to a site or system will help you remember your username and password.
I’m sure there are tons of tips I missed. If you have a good one, make a comment.